Shawn Menard was elected to Ottawa City Council on October 22nd, 2018. Prior to his election he was the Public School Board Trustee for Capital Ward.
His experience includes being a senior staff person for Canada’s Big City Mayor’s Caucus and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. He is the past President of the Carleton University Alumni Association for the National Capital Region, the former Vice Chair of the City of Ottawa Pedestrian and Transit Advisory Committee, Past President of the Rideau River Residence Association and Centretown Citizen’s Community Association, and previously worked within the federal government as a public servant.
Shawn has a Masters degree in Public Policy and Administration. He has lived in Ottawa his whole life, and currently lives in Old Ottawa South with his partner and young son.
As Councillor, Shawn will fight to make City Hall a place for people again.
Some of Shawn’s Accomplishments:
- Infrastructure Investment in Ottawa - Shawn co-led federal campaigns to Invest in our cities which resulted in new affordable housing for Ottawa and Phase 1 Infrastructure funding for projects like the Clegg-5th Avenue Bridge and Ottawa’s LRT
- U-Pass in Ottawa – Co-managed the campaign to establish the U-Pass in Ottawa
- Voted against closing community schools in Ottawa and worked to make a community hub at Rideau High School a reality
- Passed a motion at the OCDSB recognizing the UN Decade for People of African Descent and the need to enhance data collection and reduce systemic discrimination in our schools
- Updated school board policy to ensure community schools remain accessible regardless of program language
- Led community association support for the Village initiative on Bank Street as President of the CCCA
- Worked to highlight the Lansdowne Park traffic difficulties before the development occurred as Vice Chair of the Pedestrian and Transit advisory committee for the City of Ottawa
- Fought to keep alternative schools vibrant in Ottawa including Lady Evelyn Alternative School in Old Ottawa East